Some fans could return before season ends, says La Liga president Javier Tebas

Some fans could return before season ends, says La Liga president Javier Tebas

La Liga hopes to have some supporters back in stadiums by the end of the season, says president Javier Tebas.

Spain’s top flight resumes on Thursday, having been suspended on 10 March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Tebas says talks will take place with the government in two weeks to discuss the possibility of fans returning when it is safe to do so.

“Of course it won’t be the entire stadium and there will be special precautionary measures,” said Tebas.

“If we can have even 10% or 15% by the end of the season, if that happens we will be very happy about that because that’s a sign that we are getting back to some form of normality.

“When we celebrate will be when we actually finish the competitions, both the First Division and the Second Division. This crisis still hasn’t come to an end.”

Tebas also said Neymar’s rumoured return to Barcelona is unlikely to happen because of the financial impact of coronavirus.

The Brazil forward was heavily linked with a switch back to Spain last summer, two years after his world-record £200m move to Paris St-Germain, but the deal never went through.

“There will be a lot less movement than we have seen in other transfer windows,” Tebas added.

“Neymar [going back to Barca] is a big cash deal,” he said. “I don’t think it is going to come off.”

Tebas added that if no fans are allowed in stadiums until the end of the year, he is predicting a contraction in the European summer transfer market from 3bn to 800m euros.

Tebas confirmed talks with governing body Uefa and other major leagues, including the Premier League, were ongoing about when the summer transfer window was likely to close.

The new German season is likely to start before that of the Premier League, Serie A and La Liga, but the situation is not entirely straightforward because of clubs involved in the latter stages of European competition.

However, Tebas is expecting an agreement to be reached for the window to close just before the Champions League group phase starts, which is planned for October.

“It will not be [closing at] the end of July, when the competitions are just finishing. It will be a shorter transfer window than in other years, but we are going to come to a consensus,” he added.

George Floyd death: Gen Mark Milley sorry for joining Trump walk to church

George Floyd death: Gen Mark Milley sorry for joining Trump walk to church

The top US military officer says he was wrong to have joined President Donald Trump during his controversial walk to a damaged church near the White House.

The 1 June event created “a perception of the military involved in domestic politics”, Gen Mark Milley said.

Mr Trump walked to the church and held up a Bible after a peaceful protest at the death of African American George Floyd was forcibly dispersed.

The use of troops to tackle the protests has provoked fierce US debate.

Mr Trump has regularly referred to “law and order”, calling in the National Guard to the US capital, vowing to deploy the military to other cities and condemning violent protests.

Some of the mostly peaceful initial protests following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis last month did turn violent with looting in several cities.

But since four police officers were charged in connection with the death, the protests have been more peaceful, spawning an international movement against police brutality and racial inequality.

Video footage of the death in Minneapolis shows a white officer kneeling on Mr Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes.

What did Gen Milley say?

The chairman of the joint chiefs of staff was speaking in a video for a National Defense University commencement ceremony.

He said: “I should not have been there. My presence in that moment and in that environment created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics.

“As a commissioned uniformed officer, it was a mistake that I have learned from, and I sincerely hope we all can learn from it.”

Gen Milley (R) was on the walk with the president and Defence Secretary Mark Esper (C)

Gen Milley added: “We must hold dear the principle of an apolitical military that is so deeply rooted in the very essence of our republic.”

He also said he was outraged at the “senseless, brutal killing” of George Floyd.

Gen Milley said: “The protests that have ensued not only speak to his killing but also to centuries of injustice toward African Americans.”

The general was wearing battle uniform as he walked with the president and critics said this suggested his support for the deployment of the military against protesters.

Defence Secretary Mark Esper was also on the walk and, although he has not said he was wrong to be there, suggested in a news conference that he thought the walk was for a different purpose of mingling with troops and inspecting damage.

Senior officials told US media that Mr Trump had yelled at Mr Esper after the conference.

Presentational grey line

A stunning break from the president

Nada Tawfik, BBC News, New York

This is just the latest sign of growing friction between the White House and the military over how best to deal with the country’s history of racism and the current movement for change.

The incident, which Gen Milley now regrets, placed troops right in the middle of domestic politics and, no less, in an election year.

Several former generals have come out publicly against Mr Trump’s “law and order” approach to what is a human rights issue – equality for black Americans. The president’s first defence secretary, retired general James Mattis, said he never dreamed that troops would be ordered to violate the constitutional rights of their fellow citizens.

But this statement from Gen Milley, given his position at the top of the US military, is a far rarer and more stunning public break from the president.

Presentational grey line

What happened on the day?

A peaceful demonstration was cleared in Lafayette Square next to the White House with pepper spray and flash-bang grenades so that the president and his entourage could walk to St John’s Episcopal Church.

 

With the dispersal still ongoing, Mr Trump spoke in the Rose Garden, calling on governors to use the National Guard to “dominate the streets” or he would “deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them”.

Mr Trump, who sees himself as a champion of evangelical and conservative voters, then walked to the church, the basement of which had been burned the previous day, and held up a Bible.

A number of religious leaders criticised his actions. The presiding bishop of the the Episcopal Church, Michael Curry, accused Mr Trump of using the church for “partisan political purposes”.

 

Mr Trump said “most religious leaders loved” his visit to the church and denied having any role in dispersing protesters beforehand.

His latest tweet on the issue on Thursday again praised the security forces.

What are the latest developments on George Floyd’s death?

  • Statues linked to colonialist or imperialist figures continue to be vandalised in the US and abroad, including those of Christopher Columbus and Confederate president Jefferson Davis
  • Country music band Lady Antebellum have changed their name to Lady A. Antebellum in the US refers to the slavery period before the Civil War
  • An amendment in the Armed Services Committee of the Republican-led Senate now requires Mr Trump to rename military bases named after Confederate generals, something he has refused to do. Prospects the amendment will pass the full Senate though are unclear
  • Europe could see a surge in Covid-19 infections as a result of massive Black Lives Matter rallies, EU officials say

Cultural motion passed as council session

Cultural motion passed as council session

Adeje 30th May 2020

Adeje council approves a motion to support cultural training during the Covid-19 period

 

This plan is to support a sector that is particularly vulnerable during the state of emergency, and which represents 2% of the GDP of the Canarias

 

The Adeje council session yesterday, May 29th, voted unanimously to approve an institutional motion proposed by the PSOE and Unidad Podemos, to support training in the Canarian cultural industry which is currently suffering during this state of emergency.  It was pointed out that this is an industry that contributes 2% to the regional GDP, involving 5,000 companies and 26,000 direct and indirect jobs.

 

In recent weeks the Adeje mayor and members of the local government have been talking with various associations who have told of the precarious situations they are in economically and the need, more than ever, to count upon the support of local administrations.  José Miguel Rodriguez Fraga said, “Adeje has culture and training in its DNA as we understand that it is a fundamental part of our human development for everyone from birth to adulthood. We are aware of the difficulties the sector finds itself in given the crisis caused by this pandemic, with thousands of employees who work in the sector suffering, and the Adeje council  will now commit t doing all can to help alleviate the situation”.

 

The government group has made a commitment with the AIMCA (the association of the Canarian music industry) following a meeting with the association and councillors for culture and tourism, Maria Clavijo and Adolfo Alonso at the end of April.  The motion passed yesterday is a related part of the commitment Adeje has to the promotion of culture.

 

For the council, culture has to be at the heart of political development, and should be an essential element in the integration of the lives of the local population.  It is vital to recover the place culture had in our lives before the pandemic hit, always, of course, bearing in mind and obeying local health and safety measures.

 

Among the agreements approved yesterday in the monthly council session is the development of cultural activities online, using public media to publicise the events, in particular radio, online platforms and the council’s webpages.

 

At the same time the council will strengthen the promotion of local culture, helping local artists and companies with roots in the borough, giving recognition to the work they are doing locally, serving to support and help promote local brands.

 

Another of the agreements reached yesterday relates to a revision of the administrative conditions needed for flexibility in use of public cultural spaces for activities in the borough, making some adjustments to sectorial and artistic definitions, favouring the use of public zones and centres.

 

In the financial area, the motion will see the application of all possible economic sections budgeted, and where it is possible within health and safety measures, to see the realisation of cultural activities in 2020, with rules that should simplify and ease the application and approval of funding and financial assistance for such activities.

 

Ultimately the motion approved yesterday will consolidate culture as an intrinsic valuable part of a tourism borough such as Adeje. 

 

Finally, the agreement is also in line with the call by the regional government to create lines of cross-departmental aid to facilitate the recovery of cultural events in partnership with other government areas such as industry, tourism and education.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Department of Communications

Telephone Service For Older Residents

Telephone Service For Older Residents

Adeje 1 June 2020

Adeje continues to improve telephone services for older residents

The goal is to maintain contact with older people (aged 65-90), being aware of and meeting their needs

Adeje’s area of community welfare, and the senior citizens department, under Councillor José Antonio López Delgado, will continue with the telephone attention service for older residents that has been in operation.  A section of the departmental staff have dedicated their time to  keeping in touch with them, finding out if their situation has changed, their health, any changes in mobility, etc. 

“Being aware of the situation of the over 65s living in Adeje is the goal, to know their needs, the conditions in which they are living, how we can help a section of our society most vulnerable to Covid-19”, commented the councillor, who added that “we also want to be give them what they need to cover the essentials, as well as keeping them up to date on the current situation, the phases the de-escalation is going through, and how all of this affects them personally”.

These contacts also allow our senior citizens know that they are not alone during this health crisis and that they can depend upon the services on offer from the relevant council departments.

The data collected by the department has shown that, while there are a few older individuals living alone, most of the borough’s senior citizens have spent the pandemic living with family members.

In a few exceptional cases there are a number of older persons, the majority foreign residents, who live alone, but have been assisted by neighbours, friends, or by those who have been offering professional assistance.

Department of Communications

Adeje beaches open

90% of Adeje’s beaches are open 

The council is continuing to ask the public to use common sense so that the beaches and bathing areas don’t become infection zones.

Adeje’s tourism department, under councillor Adolfo Alonso Ferrara has confirmed that 90 % of the borough’s beaches will be open this weekend.  These are Troya I, II, Torviscas, Fañabé, Duque Sur and Norte, La Enramada, Varadero, Puertito, Pinque and Ajabo.  The bathing zones that are opening are  El Cabezo, Muelle, Puntilla de La Caleta, Salina and El Marqués

The La Pinta , El Bobo, and Las Galgas beach remain closed. The council also reminds all beach goers that whether beaches remain open is in their hands, and that everyone needs to use common sense to make sure the beaches don’t become infection zones.

The conditions for beach openings have meant use of materials in disinfection, cleaning, safety, maintenance, and the implementation of the anti- Covid 19 measures as set down by the regional and national government departments.    Furthermore the municipal water laboratory has been carrying out tests on the waters along the beaches and bathing areas and every single test has shown the waters are good for swimming.

The councillor with responsibility for the area has underlined the fact “that we are calling on everyone to have some sense of individual responsibility, and be careful. Remember that we have to maintain social distancing and abide by all the measures in place along the coast line, which are in place as part of this phase of the de-escalation of the state of emergency”.

Regarding security, where there is a lifeguard service it is currently operating from 10am – 6pm.  Bathing outside these hours is done at your own risk.

The hygiene and security measures that have been put in place by the Adeje council include a series of posters, in different languages, reminding users of the rules in place – again the hope being that the beach visitors will take heed and help keep the zones clean and open to everyone. 

Smoking is forbidden on beaches, as are pets (they always have been), the showers and foot showers may not be used at this time, you are also asked not to bring fridge boxes (though a snack and drink are allowed). Balls and lilos and inflatables are also not allowed during this time, and use of a towel on the beach is obligatory.

The recommendation is that people don’t spend more than a few hours every day, to avoid crowds and ensure that everyone can find a safe space on the beach when they go there.   You are also reminded that social distancing between people or family groups is the best way to avoid cross-over infection.

Department of Communications